Overview of the Practice of Meditation
The Spiritual practice of meditation is different from what you may be familiar with through popular culture. Rather than emptying yourself, Christian meditation is about filling yourself with the things of God — His word, His faithfulness, His love, etc. Meditation in this way opens us to see and hear God more clearly and to focus more on His ways.
What Scripture says
Incorporate this practice into your life
Biblical meditation is about filling your mind with God and His truth. When engaging in the spiritual practice of meditation, you don’t have to start expecting to concentrate on God’s Word for hours at a time. Start small — maybe just a couple of minutes meditating on a simple Bible verse. As you start, it might help to deliberately remind yourself that you’re doing this to focus on what God wants you to hear. If your mind wanders re-focus.
How does this practice relate to what I’m facing?
- Meditation when feeling weakness: Philippians 4:13
- Meditate on Philippians 4:13 the next time you are feeling weakness. “I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.” (that’s also an easy verse to memorize, so you can refer to it at any time)
- Meditation when feeling tempted: Romans 6:11
- Meditate on Rom as 6:11, “In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.”
- Meditation regarding purpose: Body of Christ
- Paraphrasing 1 Corinthians 12:27, “Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it,” meditate on your purpose in God’s family by considering this phrase: “I am part of the Body of Christ.”
- Meditation concerning stress: Psalm 31:14
- Psalm 31:14 and Psalm 25:2 are both short verses that you could use for scripture meditation practices. Consider memorizing one of these verses and having it on hand to ponder when you are feeling stressed out. Eastern meditation practices often say that meditation itself can reduce stress. Scriptural meditation can too, but is more that way when you are meditating on how God provides for you, cares for you, loves you deeply, and is someone you can trust.